Sunday, June 21, 2009

Expiration Dating


I remember the day I found out AJ was leaving.

I had known he had moved here from a different country, but he was with his family, not another family. I always assumed he had moved here. One day about 2 months into our relationship, I was talking to Vicki and she casually asked,
"What's going to happen when AJ goes home?" Confused, I turned to her.
"What do you mean 'home'?" Her face quickly changed, the realization that I didn't know something important masking what had previously been a smile. 
"Um...Well, you know he is leaving in June? To go back home? Like, to the country he is from?" Vicki looked uncomfortable. I felt short of breath. 
"What?" I gasped. She got up to walk away. 
"I think you should talk to AJ about this." 

I did. I called him right away. As soon as he picked up, I didn't even give him a chance to say hello. "YOUR MOVING?!" I blurted out. Silence. I could hear him sigh on the other end of the phone. 
"I thought you knew..." He finally responded, his voice trailing off. Tears were started to well up in my eyes. 
"No. You told me you moved here."
"Well we did. For a year. My dad is taking a year off of work to write a book." Now the tears were flowing down my cheeks. 
"But...Where does that leave us?" He paused again, looking for the right words. 

"Well, we don't have to figure that out until June."

June. Now I was dating on a timeline. And there is nothing worse than having an expiration date on your relationship. 

2 comments:

  1. that's a rough situation...I'll refrain from giving you my thoughts onlong distance relationships. I hope you are able to figure out whats best for you,

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, this is actually a past situation in which it did not work out (not sure how I feel about long distance relationships) but keep reading if you want to see how it did end up! :)

    ReplyDelete