Tuesday, June 9, 2009

I Think He Asked Me To Homecoming

In normal teenage fashion, I had Vicki tell Rob who discreetly hinted at AJ that I liked him. This came at a perfect time. Homecoming was just around the corner. Now, the homecoming dance is a big deal in high school. Even more so if you'd never been asked to a dance before. I watched dance after dance as my friends shopped for fancy dresses and did their makeup and accepted their corsages from their dates. It was painful. This year though, Vicki was convinced that she would get AJ to ask me to the homecoming dance (because obviously, I couldn't just ask him). 
After a few weeks of stolen glances at each other from our respective spots in the entrance way to our school and lots of eye sex (at least on my part), that fateful day arrived. I stood with Vicki, Lisa and Bree after classes were over. I had my back to Rob and his group of friends, including AJ, but even so his presence was like eyes burning into my back. I could feel him watching me. Vicki got closer to me and started to nudge me backwards. 
"Vicki, what the hell are you doing?" I asked. Lisa and Bree seemed to be in on this and continued to push me closer to AJ. I turned my head around, while trying to stay upright as my friends shoved me in AJ's direction. He was looking at Rob and I heard Rob say, 
"Come on man, just do it." Suddenly, I felt my back against another's. His. I felt the breath go out of me. I turned around (more so by force since Vicki pushed me) and was face to face with him. Rob pushed him forwards and gave him a look. You know that look guys give each other like, go in for the kill man. As quickly as they had pushed us together, all of our friends dispersed, leaving AJ and myself standing alone, in the hallway, never having spoken to each other before. He started mumbling something. 
"Um what?" I asked, confused. More mumbling. Great, this was going to be difficult if I couldn't even understand him. 
"Homecoming?" was about all I could make out of his garbled English. I decided I would just assume he asked me and confirm later with Rob. 
"Of course" I replied, smiling. 
"Okay..." He said and walked away, leaving me standing there beaming, having just confirmed my first real date. 

No comments:

Post a Comment